The BEACON Biorefining Centre of Excellence - a partnership between Aberystwyth, Bangor and Swansea Universities and the University of South Wales.
On 1 July 2019, Wales Centre for Excellence for Anaerobic Digestion (USW) became a member of a collaborative partnership between Aberystwyth, Bangor and Swansea Universities and the University of South Wales working in the field of conversion of biomass and biowastes into biobased products with commercial applications.
Beacon primarily helps Welsh business explore biobased opportunities for growth by providing access to wide-ranging specialist equipment and scientific expertise at our four partner institutions.
We can help:
- Businesses valorise their waste streams, gaining added value from the by-products of their manufacturing processes
- The Construction, Packaging and Manufacturing industries by developing new biocomposite materials
- The Bioscience industry by developing new microbial or enzyme systems and technologies for the processing of biomass
- The Chemical industry by providing new sources of ‘green’ chemicals
- Fuel producers by offering ‘green’ fuels, impacting on the Renewable Transport Fuel Obligation (RTFO) and reducing carbon emissions
- Energy producers by trialling different feedstocks and bioenergy crops
- Rural communities by applying biorefinery technology to the processing of non-food crops
For more information please click here.
The BEACON partners can undertake:
- Formulation of new biocomposites
- Extrusion / bioplastics
- Novel chemistries / applications
- Metabolic engineering of yeasts
- Protein modelling such as new enzymes, e.g. for food industry or bioprocessing
The Wales AD Centre at USW concentrates on technological solutions for:
- Biological conversions of materials to fuels, polymers, intermediates or novel products
- Optimisation of industrial bioconversion processes
- value added integrations with other key industries (e.g. renewable energy and the green chemical and plastics sector)
Project is funded by European Regional Development Fund